Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Woes. The Young Lady needs to get her wisdom teeth removed.

This isn't a big surprise (my husband and his sister, and I and my sister, all had to have that done), but it was already looking like a busy summer. And she's never had a serious medical procedure - not even a single stitch or an ilness worse than the flu in 16 years. So she's not feeling very brave about it.



( 43 comments — Leave a comment )
May. 7th, 2008 11:33 pm (UTC)
Heh, I have the same issue right now. 18 years without a surgical procedure or even blood drawn, and now, KAPOW, wisdom teeth next month.
May. 8th, 2008 04:31 pm (UTC)

Awww ... well, most everyone in the country goes through it.   >hugs!<

She's had blood drawn a couple of time, though.

May. 8th, 2008 07:11 pm (UTC)
Fortunately I only have three anyway. But god, I am a total wreck when it comes to medical things. They've tried to draw blood before but they actually COULD NOT because I was freaking out so much. Never again.
(no subject) - chomiji - May. 9th, 2008 07:10 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - bad_mushroom - May. 9th, 2008 08:05 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - chomiji - May. 11th, 2008 01:56 am (UTC) - Expand
May. 8th, 2008 01:02 am (UTC)
Awww, I hope she's doing okay! I probably ought to have mine removed too, but I'm a wuss!
May. 8th, 2008 04:35 pm (UTC)

I think she's mostly over the formless worries stage. Karl tells us that after he had his done, when the doctor (or somebody) told him he had to take it easy because he was still woozy, Karl went and stood on his head to prove there was no need for concern! He was (and still is) such a boy!   XD

So she's hoping she'll be more like Dad and less like Mom. (I was laid up for several days.)

May. 9th, 2008 02:11 am (UTC)
I don't remember just how long I was sidelined after mine -- and they were pretty badly impacted, which possibly makes a difference compared to a more straightforward extraction that doesn't involve gouging and chiseling things to bits -- but I seem to remember it wasn't all that long, and after the first day it was more the wooziness from the pain meds, Tylenol 3 or whatever codeine-ish thing it was, that was slowing me down more than the direct aftereffects of the surgery itself. The day of the surgery itself was the only one where I was deeply, uselessly miserable, and that was more the drugs-and-taste-of-blood nausea rather than the pain -- I've got a fairly high and oddly-wired pain tolerance, but I absolutely cannot cope with nausea, it just turns me into a blubbering helpless wreck longing to be put out of my misery.
May. 11th, 2008 01:41 am (UTC)

I do indeed remember some nausea. I'm not at all prone to that - can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've thrown up in adulthood - but I couldn't drink stawberry shakes or eat strawberry ice cream for years afterward because my Dad was dispatched on a late-night Mickey D's run to get me some shakes to drink, and strawberry was all they had ... .

(no subject) - smillaraaq - May. 11th, 2008 08:30 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - chomiji - May. 13th, 2008 11:27 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - smillaraaq - May. 15th, 2008 09:20 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - chomiji - May. 17th, 2008 03:41 am (UTC) - Expand
May. 8th, 2008 03:43 am (UTC)
Oh! Can I brag and tell my wisdom teeth removal under only novicane and laughing gas?
May. 8th, 2008 04:53 am (UTC)
I didn't even get laughing gas. Just some oral sedative, which really didn't seem to do diddlysquat, and local. And they didn't give me enough local at first to deal with chiselling out the impacted lower ones, so I had to sort of grab at the damn surgeon's arm and make incoherent novocained angry mumbling noises until they figured out that I needed a *lot* more juice. *sigh*

She's a few years younger than I was at the time -- my last molars and wisdom teeth were all rather late coming in -- but otherwise in a sort of similar boat as far as medical experiences. I'd had one very bad, if small, burn as a child, and thanks to my severe allergies I'd had an ER visit and far more time spent in doctor's offices and experience with needles than I'd have liked, but never any broken bones or dealings with anything involving anesthetic or surgery or stitches, so I was definitely freaked out too. But while the surgery under inadequate local certainly wasn't *fun*, honestly the worst part of it for me was dealing with people; I'd never had any nervous problems with routine dentist visits and my regular dentist and all his office staff were really really nice, but for some reason I had to see someone else for the wisdom teeth and the oral surgeon's bedside manner was very callous and impersonal, so very much not what I needed in those circumstances, and I don't recall any of the nurses or other staff there being particularly friendly and reassuring either. Even worse, my mother was in a phase of being really overtly nasty to me, so when I was miserably nauseous afterwards from the horrible combination of the drugs and the taste of blood and motion sickness from the car ride home, her snippy attitude coming at a time when I was totally wretched and desperate for someone, anyone to just be a little bit nice and sympathetic just made things ever so much worse. The YL's got a nice supportive family and friends actually within the same time zone and area code, both things I was sorely lacking at the time, so I'm sure she'll have no lack of caring folks to baby her a little bit afterwards...just try to vet the the doctor beforehand to make sure it's someone she feels comfortable with, and I bet she'll come through with flying colors.
May. 8th, 2008 06:14 am (UTC)
Wow. That sounds much more horrific than my first filling, which set the bar in my family for bad dental work. I second the importance of good people doing the work - the people who did my wisdom teeth were fantastic, and I know that's why it went so well.
May. 8th, 2008 07:05 am (UTC)
Heh, and that's still not my worst medical-messup horror story; the one that takes the cake is when I broke my leg and dealt with just such an absolute clusterfuck of incompetence and callous treatment at the hospital the ambo took me too that I still get kind of enraged telling the story, almost a decade later. Starting with the ER admission where I had to lay around for hours whimpering on a gurney before anyone saw me...OK, it was an urban ER late on a Saturday night, there were folks with stab wounds and gunshots and the like who needed more immediate attention, I was hurting but not in any immediate danger, that's all fair enough triage -- but the dude bitching about how my nail polish made it impossible to use the fingertip pulse monitor thingy was totally out of line, in a neighborhood with that many nail salons there is NO FREAKIN' WAY they'd never had to deal with nail polish before -- get some damn acetone at the dollar store already! And my poor BF of the day shouldn't have had to go begging to multiple people in white coats before he finally managed to get someone to at least give me some goddamn Tylenol and a cup of water. And then there were all the nurses who kept insisting on giving me painkiller injections intramuscularly, even though they were excruciatingly, lingeringly painful and less effective that way, and I already HAD AN IV SHUNT IN MY HAND for the damn things -- a few of them did the proper IV routine initially and a few others relented when I pointed out the shunt and the fact that the other nurses used it, but there were a couple of nasty bitches who just refused to take the extra minutes involved to flush the lines with saline; it was their way or no meds, and I was hurting too badly from the unset fracture to put up a proper fight. Oh, did I mention that despite repeated attempts over several days, they never did manage to set the break properly, even when they finally said they did? I had to get it redone by a different orthopedist after I checked myself out ahead of schedule and against the smarmy, condescending social worker's advice -- they wanted me to stay for another day or two of PT and supervised lessons on dealing with the cast and crutches and all, but the PT staff were nasty too and at this point I'd had enough run-ins with the bitchier nurses that there was not an injection site left on my body that wasn't painful and tender from the damn IM injections (and in fact one of the upper arm injections was done so badly that it wound up abcessing, and I have a lovely dime-sized keloid on my left bicep now to remember the experience by...). Oh, and did I mention that when they "set" my leg that last time, they casted it in about eleventy-squillion pounds of plaster...not just old-fashioned, but so badly and heavily done that the orthopedist I went to after I escaped was shocked at what a shoddy job it was? Or the screwed-up paperwork -- they messed up my prescriptions so badly the first time they were written that my poor BF got dirty looks from the pharmacist for suspicion of trying to get narcotics illegitimately, and they couldn't even manage the paperwork properly -- they kept sending me bills for things my insurance company had long since paid, *months* after the fact. They got increasingly nasty notes from me each time I had to send them the same damn documentation showing they were in the wrong...

*deep breath*

Not that I'm BITTER or anything, oh no.

And this was supposed to be a TEACHING hospital! Terrfying, eh?

Don't get me wrong, there were a few people who were competent kind, and helpful -- the resident who finally got cornered for Tylenol, a few of the nurses, the X-ray tech that first night was super-nice, and even the orthopedist who screwed up the last round of setting my leg at least had a reasonably pleasant manner, even if he apparently couldn't handle a freakin' simple tib/fib spiral fracture. But the callous-to-cruel-to-incompetent types vastly outnumbered them. If I'm ever downtown and in need of emergency care again for some reason, I'd sooner go to one of the excellent local ER vets before I'd let myself be taken to that place again...
(no subject) - redbrunja - May. 8th, 2008 03:39 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - chomiji - May. 9th, 2008 01:43 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - smillaraaq - May. 9th, 2008 02:00 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - chomiji - May. 9th, 2008 07:17 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - smillaraaq - May. 10th, 2008 04:36 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - chomiji - May. 11th, 2008 02:03 am (UTC) - Expand
May. 9th, 2008 01:39 am (UTC)

I guess I've just been very, very lucky. My first orthodontic extraction wasn't pleasant, but that's because they didn't tell me what was going to happen (I mean, I knew I was having teeth pulled, but they didn't go into any detail), just clapped a breathing mask over my face and held it there. My last memory is of them strapping my feet down because I was kicking them. (I was 9.)

But that was the only nastiness I've had, and I've had a total of three oral surgeries, two rather rude and not-for-polite-company surgeries on my posterior, a cyst removed from one breast, the lumpectomy and re-excision on the other, an angioplasty, and a childbirth ... there was some unpleasantness waiting around for the angioplasty (I needed to be transferred to a bigger hospital, but they didn't have a bed right away), but it wasn't from any particular stupidity, just bureaucratic idiocy and my own precarious condition.

My main problem right now is trying to schedule the procedure. Summer looks real short when you've got 3 weeks of your own vacation plans, two weeks of your backup's, 4 weeks of theater camp, and a week when your backup will be working abbreviated days because her musician-househusband will be teaching a fiddle workshop and she needs to take their kid to and from daycamp ... . And during the only really "open" week, some overseas neilgaimanboard members will be in town, and she's livid at the idea that the surgery might in any way prevent her from meeting them ... we should all have such problems, I know.

May. 8th, 2008 04:36 pm (UTC)


I'll tell her!

May. 9th, 2008 01:28 am (UTC)
All the dental assistants were really impressed. Also, to brag about how awesome they were, one of them held my hand while it was being done, just because. For a minute, under the drugs, I thought my mom had snuck back into the room.
May. 9th, 2008 01:51 am (UTC)
Oh, wow, that's totally bragworthy and sweet! That's the sort of practice that's worth going out of your way for, and pimping out to all your local friends.

So what was the horror story with the filling?
(no subject) - redbrunja - May. 11th, 2008 07:45 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - smillaraaq - May. 11th, 2008 12:47 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - redbrunja - May. 11th, 2008 04:11 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - chomiji - May. 13th, 2008 11:25 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - redbrunja - May. 13th, 2008 03:33 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - chomiji - May. 15th, 2008 02:09 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - redbrunja - May. 15th, 2008 04:11 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - chomiji - May. 16th, 2008 03:24 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - redbrunja - May. 16th, 2008 03:45 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - smillaraaq - May. 15th, 2008 09:26 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - chomiji - May. 17th, 2008 03:46 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - smillaraaq - May. 17th, 2008 03:48 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - chomiji - May. 19th, 2008 07:50 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - chomiji - May. 10th, 2008 02:53 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - redbrunja - May. 11th, 2008 07:17 am (UTC) - Expand
( 43 comments — Leave a comment )


cho-vatar - sun &amp; buns

Latest Month

April 2017


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Taylor Savvy